The computer can be a really fun thing to use. You can play games, talk to people, watch videos and learn about different things. Police need to know what is happening on the internet, just like they do on the streets. Like in the real world, there can be criminals online as well.
I've got lots of information here to have fun and be safe on the computer. The most important thing police say to kids when using the computer is to be careful because you don't really know who you are talking to.
- treat people how you would like to be treated
- keep personal information private
- be careful of people you don't know on the internet. They might be pretending to be someone else
- don't arrange to meet up with someone you have met online
- don't tell strangers where you live, your phone number or where you go to school
- never post your phone number or address online
- don't send photos of yourself to people you don't know
- if you ever feel uncomfortable or scared about something on the computer, tell an adult
- if someone is mean to you on the computer, don't reply and tell an adult so they can make it stop
- use your privacy settings on social media to make sure people you don't know can't find out personal information about you
- don't download anything without speaking to your parents first.